Oct 31 2013
You (as a teacher) do a single sign-up to join your school/DLs.
Then each student joins individually and gets approved by you. Takes minutes to join all your DLs…
Students are reporters; teachers are publishers. (With the pro licence, students can be senior reporters and publish blogs and stories).
1. https://www.makewav.es/login and join as a teacher.
2. Create – better still get your DLs to create – a logo of 940×170 pixels and upload it to the banner.
3. Get your DLs to join and remember their usernames and logins https://www.makewav.es/yourschool/reporterjoin
Usernames are nicknames and should not be linkable to the real name.
Have a clear policy on which email to use (although they are not needed, they help alert users to comments and messages) – I insist on school email. 4. Go to My Site and Add / manage users. Click on the edit button beside each new username and Approve, and OK.
5. Suggest the following settings for the start – My Site > Settings:
6. If you are lucky to have other colleagues helping you then add them from Add / manage users
For the site Publisher:
- Add Channels so that a Reporter can add this to their story to categorize them
- Look for the yellow circles to Approve stories, blogs and profiles
- Add picture notes, using a screenshot and a web link for each one. These are especially useful for adding thumbnails for other Digital Leader Makewaves sites for ideas
- Use the Feature Stories widgit
- Move all the content around to suit…
- Go to the Digital leaders main page and see examples of other Digital Leader Makewaves sites
For Digital Leaders to do:
- in their “Me” section, Edit Profile and upload an avatar or an image appropriate to their user name (not a photo of themselves) and write a profile about their interests in being a Digital Leader and why it is important. Message to each other and add comments – This will get them their first badge – a Starter Badge
- Start creating basic stories with text and a picture, choosing a channel for when it is published. How about one a week? Makewaves publish regular ideas for stories, for example. My Monster Game, Your Monster Read etc
- Each story will need to be published by your teacher/Publisher
– Write a section “about you” and why you like ‘tech’…
– This will get you your starter badge.Have a look at other Digital Leader sites
– Read what others have to say and comment.
– Write a Story and explain Why you want to be a Digital Leader and what you hope to achieve…Find out how to get more badges – [“Guide To Makewaves Badges”:https://www.makewav.es/story/458733]Schools in the North Yorkshire Digital Leader Cluster:Primary Schools
[“- Aspin Park C P School”:https://www.makewav.es/aspindigitalleaders]
[“- Dishforth CE Primary School”:https://www.makewav.es/dishforthceprimary]
[“- Pickering Community Junior School”:https://www.makewav.es/pcjsdigitalleaders]
[“- Richmond Methodist Primary”:https://www.makewav.es/rms]
[“- Roseberry Community Primary School”:https://www.makewav.es/roseberrycommunityprimary]
[“- Selby Community Primary DLs”:https://www.makewav.es/selbydigitals]Seconday Schools
[“- George Pindar School”:https://www.makewav.es/georgepindar]
[“- Lady Lumley’s School”:https://www.makewav.es/ladylumleys]
And a non-North Yorkshire School [“Arden School in (Solihull)”:https://www.makewav.es/arden]